40+ Sports Injuries Resources
Sports injuries are a delicate topic for athletes and sportsmen (and sportswomen). That’s why we’ve built this sports injuries resources list. Here you will find resources to know more about your sports injury, learn how to face it, treat it, find advice online, and to find a specialist near you.
You think we missed something? Contact our webmaster on webmaster (at) santostraumatologiamty (dot) com to fix it.
Table of contents
These are useful tools and guides that any athlete or sportsman will need in some point of his career.
- Sports Specific Injury Prevention – This is the best website you will find with sports specific information about sports injuries. From baseball, gymnastics, swimming, and inline skating. It even offers the option to download the prevention guides in PDF!
- Symptom checker – This is a web app displaying a human body in which you need to click the area where you are experiencing pain. When you click it, it displays information about the injuries you might be suffering.
- Quiz: Test Your Sports Injury Savvy – If you are a professional athlete or a sportsman, you need to know the basics about sports injuries. This quiz will test your knowledge. It might teach you some things.
- Health IQ – Sports Injuries – This is a very short quiz about sports injuries. It is listed here because it offers uncommon tips about prevention.
- WebMD, Mayo Clinic and MedlinePlus – These are the biggest encyclopedias on the internet with in-depth information about medical conditions and symptoms. Why are they useful? If you are experiencing a symptom or you already know what condition is causing your symptom, these websites have the answers to the most common questions you might be having.
All these articles are meant to help answering specific questions, situations or debates related to sports injuries. They are divided into three areas.
- Workout Injuries: Prevention and Treatment – Common workout injuries and how to prevent them.
- Five Most Common GYM Injuries – The 5 most frequent GYM injuries, their causes and how to prevent them.
- Top 10 gym exercises done incorrectly – How to properly do the most common exercises (includes pictures).
- Save Your Spine: Top 10 Tips For Avoiding The Misery – The spine is one of the most important parts of your body. Here are some tips to take care of it.
- How to Return to Training After a Low Back Injury – If you had a lower back injury, you need to know some things before working out again.
- Injuries Using Exercise Equipment Up 45%, Most Occur On Treadmills – An informational piece about the dangers of the treadmills.
- Weightlifting Belts: Should You Use One? Pro and Con – An article addressing one of the most common GYM debates.
- Lessons in Weight Belts: How and Why to Use Them – A very brief guide about Weight Belts.
- The Seven Most Common Sports Injuries – A guide about the most common sports injuries and what to do to prevent them.
- How to Prevent Sports Injuries – The title is pretty self-explanatory.
- Running and Lower Back Pain – A great guide for runners about common lower back conditions among runners, when to seek treatment, and how to prevent the most common lower back problems.
- Running and Back Pain – Same as above, but for general back pain.
- Is Running Putting Your Lower Back at Risk? The Research on Lumbar Pain Risk Factors – Well supported debate on the topic.
- RICE is best for Soft Tissue Injuries – A short but great guide on the RICE method.
- Is Running Good or Bad for Back Pain? – An article trying to answer one of the most common debates.
Injury recovery and rehab
- Coping with the Emotional Stress of a Sports Injury – If you are a professional athlete or sportsman you know that having an injury is tough. This guide can help and motivate you to deal with your current situation.
- How to Overcome Depression After a Sports Injury – Another motivational guide for the injured athlete.
- Coping with Injury: The Psychology of Being Sidelined – A third article written for the purpose of coping with sports injuries. This one list the most common feelings an injured athlete experiment and specific tips to deal with the emotional side of an injury.
- Rehabilitation & Excercises – A complete resource for rehab exercises.
- Nutrition and the Injured Athlete – Simple tips for athletes living the injury recovery process.
- Use Food To Prevent & Heal Sports Injuries – Straightforward nutrition tips to prevent and stay away from sports injuries (complementary to the article above).
Do you like to read? Great! Here are some books to improve your knowledge and become a sports injuries geek (or expert). If you are serious and/or are betting for a professional sports career, you need to have plenty of injuries knowledge.
- Running Strong: The Sports Doctor’s Complete Guide to Staying Healthy and Injury-Free for Life by Jordan Metzl – A great guide explaining how the muscles, bones and joints are used and impacted. The author also explains a lot of injury-prevention advice.
- The Athlete’s Book of Home Remedies: 1,001 doctor-approved health fixes & injury-prevention secrets for a leaner, fitter, more athletic body! By Jordan Metzl – Another book by the same author. It contains an awesome list of home remedies for the athlete to stay healthy and prevent injuries.
- Sports Injuries Guidebook by Robert S. Gotlin – A complete guide explaining almost every injury, how to treat them and how to return to action safely.
- Sports Medicine Bible : Prevent, Detect, and Treat Your Sports Injuries Through the Latest Medical Techniques by Lyle J. Micheli – A complete references for every aspect of sports medicine, including nutrition, female-specific sports injuries, exercise and the elderly, structuring a workout, flexibility and strength, clothing and footwear, and proper equipment.
- Sports health: The complete book of athletic injuries by William Southmayd – Another detailed guide describing conditions, causes, symptoms and treatment.
- The ACL Solution – A program designed by a physical therapist targeted to prevention and recovery for the worst knee injury.
- The Running Injury Recovery Program – An injury recovery program targeted to the professional runner.
- Fixing Your Feet: Prevention and Treatments for Athletes – An entire book covering feet problems for professional athletes.
- Fixing You: Shoulder & Elbow Pain: Self-treatment for rotator cuff strain, shoulder impingement, tennis elbow, golfer’s elbow, and other diagnoses by Rick Olderman MSPY – An entire book covering shoulders and elbow targeting tennis players and golfers.
- The Gymnast Care Book on Injuries: At home and in the gym treatment of the most common gymnastics injuries by Joshua P Eldridge – A book on injuries for the gymnast.
Looking for some help online? In the following forums you might find professionals with sports injuries experience.
- The Runners Forum – A forum dedicated to the runner.
- BodyBuilding.com Forum – A forum dedicated to bodybuilding and GYM enthusiasts.
- Tennis Forum – For tennis players.
- Golf WRX – For golf players.
- Marathon Swimmers Forum – For swimmers.
- MMA Junkie – For MMA fighters.
Find a specialist near you
Doctoralia is a great directory to find medical specialist within many countries. Just click the country you live in below and search for one of the following phrases “orthopedist [yourcity]”, “podiatrist [yourcity]”, “physical therapist [yourcity]” or “chiropractor [yourcity]” to find a specialist near you.